[ale] Just Discovered ALE

Gregory Beyer beyerg at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 9 22:19:17 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I just discovered ALE, so am stoked about meeting fellow tux-heads in
person rather than just on forums -- and learning about Duplicity to boot!

I've been Ubuntu, then Mint since Vista ticked me off, & never went
back.  Now I'm up against a new nemesis on a new laptop - EFI.   I'm
struggling with my Mint16 install, now a week without a running
installation (just live USB booting) despite extensive forums searches
on my problems.

I've disabled fast boot & secure boot, installation goes without a
hitch, but I get nothing but error messages when I pull the USB and try
to boot from disk.   Tried fstab changes with no joy. Tried boot-repair,
too.

If I bring my laptop on Thursday, might I trouble someone to look at
what's happening (not!) at boot?

I cringe at being that guy that shows up for the first time and asks for
help, but that's the timing that a motherboard death has forced on me.

Thanks so much,

Greg