[ale] Hardware RAID5 recovery in software

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:09:14 EST 2014

If all 3 drives are the same make and model, dd the working 2 drives first.
Then try replacing the failed drives board with one from a good drive.

with 2 drives out of 3 in a raid5, you're still OK data-wise. raidextract
may be able to rebuild the data from the 2 drives.

I used a tool a zillion years ago that I can't find right now that did
exactly this: from a dd image of all the available drives, extract all the
file possible to a new location.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Dustin Strickland <
dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, let me give you guys a better idea of the hardware - this
> appears to be a custom build. Some Asrock motherboard as far as I can
> tell with a VIA chipset and an Athlon XP something... an unbranded
> SATA2 RAID card(which doesn't work), and the 3 80GB hard drives.
>
> Jim,
>
> That's what I was afraid of. Only 2 of the drives still work. I
> couldn't get any data off the third drive. Do you think raidextract
> might still work in this case?
>
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:12:53
> -0500 Benjie <benjie.godfrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this a SATA or a SCSI HBA?  Is the HBA a card, or is it built into
> > the motherboard?  Is it a software raid using the mainboard's SATA
> > interfaces? Can you answer those questions?
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Dustin Strickland <
> > dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just want to put this out there: I'm not *very* familiar with
> > > RAID, but I get by. I have a unique situation and I'm not sure how
> > > to handle it -- suggestions would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > So, my client has a machine - an *old* machine - that was running an
> > > ancient version of Redhat, acting as a Samba server. I'm not too
> > > clear on the details of what happened, but the result: the
> > > motherboard in the server is apparently bad. So is the RAID card
> > > that was installed. Also one of the disks of the three that were
> > > installed. The other two work fine. This machine will not boot, I
> > > tried everything. We've made the decision to set up another machine
> > > to run Samba. Now here's the hitch. The only available machine has
> > > only two SATA ports and we still need to grab his old data.
> > >
> > > Yesterday I used a Live USB stick to dd the data from both of the
> > > good drives, one at a time, on to a third. Now, I don't even know
> > > if the data is recoverable - after we started copying the second
> > > disk, we left it to run overnight so I haven't been able to check
> > > it out. If it *is*, how would I go about it? I've never encountered
> > > hardware RAID before, either - would this even be possible to fix
> > > in software? _______________________________________________
> > > Ale mailing list
> > > Ale at ale.org
> > > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
> > > http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*