[ale] Hardware RAID5 recovery in software

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Mar 6 13:16:43 EST 2014

A lot of the old hardware RAID controllers by various manufacturers were actually OEM from LSI.    (e.g. most of the Dell PERC and SAS controllers since PERC 2 – the early PERC 2 actually had both an Adaptec and an LSI model).

If you can determine the vendor/model from the failed computer’s RAID whether embedded into the motherboard or a separate slot you might be able to find an equivalent OEM.   Sometimes newer versions in the same family will see the RAID setup of older drives.

I haven’t used Pivar in forever because luckily I haven’t needed to but they were able to get some really old data for me once off of tape.   You might give them a call to see if they can do anything for you if all else fails:
http://www.pivar.com