[ale] Hardware RAID5 recovery in software

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:48:50 EST 2014

+1. hardware raid, especially old hardware raid is card sensitive and
basically bad news on failures.

That said, what you could do is get a single, large drive, partition it
into 3 chunks large enough for each drive and dd each drive to a chunk.
Now look here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/linux/raidextract/
and try raidextract on those partitions.

If you can get enough data from that, you might be able to run those
partitions as software RAID5 and copy data to a new drive.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> You are going to have to probably go a step further -
> If you want to recover the data from the degraded RAID 5, you are going to
> need a RAID adapter from the same manufacturer, and preferably the same
> model.
> Allen B.
> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*