[ale] NanoPC

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:37:53 EST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> I'm constantly arguing with boneheaded web developers who go and do their
> development on the latest bleeding-edge release of Ubuntu, Fedora, or
> OpenSUSE on a VM on their workstations, then expect me to upgrade the PHP
> on our SLES servers to that version on their test VM.
> At this point, I have to point out that we provide test/dev space on an
> identical server to production for a reason...and then they stomp and rant
> and rave, and I have to escalate to management and let them tell them "not
> just no, but hell no" on pulling in unsupported PHP packages or setting
> them up a special Debuntu VM for their site.
> Bleeding edge releases + web developers = a deadly combination and a huge
> security problem.
> Allen B.

That's always an issue. I changed our HPC stack from CentOS to Fedora to
avoid a mess of broken lib issues. At least these don't see public traffic.
PHP is scary enough without running the latest developer versions on a
public site.

I call those developers "lazy and soon to be unemployed". Provide them a
mirror environment of the production realm to develop in and if they can't
make it work, they can explain whey the design needs to change or they can
work somewhere else.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*