[ale] Duplicity , was -Re: [ANNC] ALE-NW @ SPSU MTG. for Thurs., Mar 13, 7:30pm

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at UnderGrid.net
Thu Mar 6 11:26:05 EST 2014

On 06.03.2014 10:32, JD wrote:
> On 03/06/2014 10:27 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On 03/06/2014 09:39 AM, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>>> On a Debian-based system using aptitude the dependencies are
>>> resolved
>>> and Duplicity is able to operate normally.
>>>
>>> From Debian 7.4 Wheezy (stable):
>> alrighty then.... installed it, read the ( limited) documentation on
>> web
>> site & man pages..
>> tried it. got this:
>> BackendException: ssh connection to pbc at localhost:22 failed: Private
>> key
>> file is encrypted
>>
>> whose private key and how do I fix that?? all I want to do is backup
>> my
>> home to an external (mounted) drive..
>
> Attend the meeting NEXT Thursday and follow along!

Yes, what JD said! At the meeting NEXT Thursday I'll be showing how to
use Duplicity.

On the specific error you received it is a known issue on Debian, and
also Ubuntu by the nature of them riding the coat tails of Debian
Developer work. It has to do with the python-paramiko version currently
available in Debian package being old and not understanding ECDSA host
keys in the known_hosts file.

Full disclosure: I am the Debian package maintainer for python-paramiko
and I'm currently working on the newer 1.12.x release to replace the
older 1.7.x release and it does include ECDSA support. Unforunately at
this time the packaging isn't ready for release so not available in
Debian or any of it's derivatives.