[ale] wouldn't be as funny were it not true

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Jun 11 14:47:19 EDT 2014

We actually finally got rid of our last RHEL4 last year and unlike many other suggestions management has been receptive to loading RHEL6 unless it was running an Oracle software that didn’t support RHEL6.   We have a pretty good mix of RHEL5 and RHEL6.  (Oracle actually admitted in 2012 that RHEL6 existed – you’d have thought before then that they’d never hear of it.)

Today when I mentioned RHEL7 was GA now they asked if we should be moving that way on new installs.   I noted yes for the ones we can but if we’re building a new Production server that is using stuff developed/tested on RHEL6 here we shouldn’t upgrade production first.    I just wish RHEL7 had been GA before start of the year because we happen to be replacing EOL hardware and a lot of it has already been done on RHEL6.

Given the long life span of RHEL5 (it is still in main support until 2017) it seems RHEL6 will still be supported for quite a while but it’s always best to move up where you can just because upgrading existing stuff is usually hard.

Athena®, Created for the Cause™