[ale] wouldn't be as funny were it not true

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:47:06 EDT 2014

On 06/11/2014 11:46 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 11:04 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>>

>>         From the /. announcement of RHEL7 release in the comments:
>>

>>         across IT shops across the nation
>>         <http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=5264619&cid=47205559>
>>         (Score:5
>>         <http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/06/10/1815208/red-hat-enterprise-linux-7-released#>,
>>         Funny)
>>
>> by nimbius <http://slashdot.org/%7Enimbius> (983462)
>> <http://slashdot.org/%7Enimbius> on Tuesday June 10, 2014 @03:24PM
>> (#47205559
>> <http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=5264619&cid=47205559>)
>> Homepage <http://nimbius.36bit.com/>
>> *C-Level*: Red Hat has a new version of internet, we should install it.
>> *PHB*:right away! PM! Red hat has an OS! lets install it
>> *PM*: Of course! Engineering! how are we on the RHEL 7 project!?
>> *Senior Engineer*: I dont remember getting one did I give it to you?
>> *Infrastructure group*: you never approved our upgrade to RHEL 4
>> because it required Oracle downtime. You never agreed to the RHEL 3
>> upgrade because our proxy cant go down or the PHB cant get to
>> facebook. We were told not to upgrade the RHEL 2 fileservers because
>> the PHB keeps his motivational MP3's there. The only machine we have
>> running RHEL6 is the one you made us install four days ago because
>> you attended a webinar..so...i guess we'll have it upgraded by the
>> end of the week.
>> *PHB*: whoa there pump your brakes guys...dont touch that server. if
>> you take it offline i might not be able to get to the webinar next year!
>
> Wow.
>
> I am reminded of something else I saw recently...
>
> http://aplawrence.com/Lighter/sysadm_wanted.html and it's follow-up
> http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/system_admin.html
>
> Falls into the same category as the subject, pretty much exactly. :-)
>
>     --- Mike

A similar thing had happened to me when I was working for Quotron
Systems, Inc. back in the 80's. I had finished an early morning call out
way west of Ft. Lauderdale right across the street from a Merrill Lynch
office that had called in that all 3 systems were not working. When I
called for my next call the stupivisor (purposely misspelled) sent me
clear across to a Dean Witter in Lauderdal-by-the-Sea which is about 40
to 50 min drive depending if you get stuck at the drawbridge. As it
turns out the Manager had spilled coffee on his keyboard that poured
down my arm as I held it up. His comment at first was the freakin'
keyboard had just stopped working. As the coffee was running down my arm
I turned and asked him if he had been drinking coffee this morning as it
was still quite warm and sniffing the board you could tell that
everything inside was fried. After calling in for the next call the
stupivisr sent me back to the earlier Merrill Lynch office. When I
arrived everybody was yelling at me and making all kinds of threats and
nasty comments about the fact that I had been across the street and did
not come over after they had placed the call much earlier. The
stupivisor had also told them that he had notified me of the call. The
receptionist of our office stated later that the stupivisor had the call
but never told me about it until after the kybd call. Talk about walking
into hell imagine having over 50 stock brokers, sales assistants jumping
all over you because they lost tons of money by not being able to do
trades on a heavy market day.

Scott C.

--
Sent to you NSA, the CIA, FBI and God only knows who else?!