[ale] SAMBA is driving me nuts

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:03:56 EDT 2014

Hey folks,

I have a remote samba machine that I connect to via SSHFS.  I created a
specific user ("indy") that will be used for this connection and that
user is in all the groups I believe it should be:

indy at remote-srv-05:~$ groups
users ssh sambashare indy

The issue I am having seems to be when Microsoft Office or Adobe
products create a .tmp file as they are saving.  When I am using these I
get a "disk is full" error.  I can see a "~WRD0003.tmp" file being
created on the server via my explorer window.  This (of course)
disappears when the file fails to save.

I've created new text files directly on the server and edited/saved them
several times using simple text editors (notepad, Notepad++) and
LibreOffice (the temp file it creates works "correctly" I suppose).

This server will be predominately used by our Macs with a few Windows
machines connecting on occasion.

How are you setting up your smb.conf to allow Word/Photoshop/InDesign to
work correctly?

Here is my smb.conf file:

#======================= Global Settings =======================
[global]
workgroup = COOLKIDZ
server string = %h server
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
dns proxy = no
log level = 2
syslog = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog only = yes
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
guest account = nobody
load printers = no
disable spoolss = yes
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
unix extensions = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
null passwords = no
local master = yes
time server = no
wins support = no

#======================= Share Definitions =======================
[Server5]
comment = File Storage
path = /media/14dccf1f-2af9-4a7d-ad14-86536398b0a6/Server5/
guest ok = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit permissions = no
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
printable = no
create mask = 0766
force create mode = 0766
directory mask = 0766
force directory mode = 0766
hide dot files = yes
valid users = "preston","indy",@"preston",@"indy"
invalid users =
read list =
write list = "preston","indy",@"preston",@"indy"

If anyone could enlighten me on something I'm not seeing, I'd really
appreciate it.  This is getting frustrating to say the least.

Thanks all,
Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss