[ale] Remote Tech Support

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:38:31 EDT 2014

HA!

OK. what does ctrl, windows and R do on winders?

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Robert L. Harris <robert.l.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> True story, happened to me Tuesday, we're still laughing.
>
> I'm standing in the break room chatting with some co-workers over lunch.
>  My phone rings with an unknown 800 # so I step out to take the call.
>
> When I answer the phone I am greeted by "Steve from Computer Technical
> Systems" in a very thick accent.  He is informing me he is calling because
> he sees many red alarms going off on their monitoring and he thinks my
> computer is being hacked.  I ask him to repeat himself and he does.  "Steve
> hold on a sec, I need to get a pen" I say as I put the phone on mute and
> walk back into the break room.  Quickly hushing the co-workers I put the
> phone speaker and unmute.
>
> Me:  Ok, Steve so I can make sure I have this right, can you repeat what
> you said?
> Steve:  Yes, I'm from Computer Technical Services and your computer is
> alarming telling us you are being hacked.
> * My co-workers have a blank stare
> Me: Is this my home computer or work computer?
> Steve: Your Windows OS computer
> Me: OK, what can I do?
> Steve:  Ok, Can you see the back of your computer?  Look for a light next
> to a cable going into the back of the computer. Do you see one flashing?
> Me ( Still in the break room ) : Yeah I see it,  what's it mean?
> Steve:  Yeah, if it's flashing, that means they are trying to break into
> your computer
> Me: Oh crap.  What do I need to do?
> * Co-workers are snickering
> Steve: Ok, I can walk you through how to lock them out and protect your
> stuff.
> Me: Alright, lets do it
> Steve: On your keyboard, do you see the key with C T R and L on it?  Press
> that and the key with the 4 little squares that look like the Windows Logo.
> Me: OK, got those 2, now what?
> Steve: Press "R"
> Me: OK, did it..  I don't see anything
> Steve:  Are you sure you're pushing the right ones?
> Me:  Yup, the CTRL, Windows and R keys.  Nothing happens.  Hey,  does this
> work in Linux?
> Steve:  You're running windows?
> Me: Yes, of course
> Steve:  <Click>
> Room of Co-workers start laughing
>

> --
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                                     - Manowar

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*