[ale] Remote Tech Support

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:43:10 EDT 2014

True story, happened to me Tuesday, we're still laughing.

I'm standing in the break room chatting with some co-workers over lunch.
 My phone rings with an unknown 800 # so I step out to take the call.

When I answer the phone I am greeted by "Steve from Computer Technical
Systems" in a very thick accent.  He is informing me he is calling because
he sees many red alarms going off on their monitoring and he thinks my
computer is being hacked.  I ask him to repeat himself and he does.  "Steve
hold on a sec, I need to get a pen" I say as I put the phone on mute and
walk back into the break room.  Quickly hushing the co-workers I put the
phone speaker and unmute.

Me:  Ok, Steve so I can make sure I have this right, can you repeat what
you said?
Steve:  Yes, I'm from Computer Technical Services and your computer is
alarming telling us you are being hacked.
* My co-workers have a blank stare
Me: Is this my home computer or work computer?
Steve: Your Windows OS computer
Me: OK, what can I do?
Steve:  Ok, Can you see the back of your computer?  Look for a light next
to a cable going into the back of the computer. Do you see one flashing?
Me ( Still in the break room ) : Yeah I see it,  what's it mean?
Steve:  Yeah, if it's flashing, that means they are trying to break into
your computer
Me: Oh crap.  What do I need to do?
* Co-workers are snickering
Steve: Ok, I can walk you through how to lock them out and protect your
stuff.
Me: Alright, lets do it
Steve: On your keyboard, do you see the key with C T R and L on it?  Press
that and the key with the 4 little squares that look like the Windows Logo.
Me: OK, got those 2, now what?
Steve: Press "R"
Me: OK, did it..  I don't see anything
Steve:  Are you sure you're pushing the right ones?
Me:  Yup, the CTRL, Windows and R keys.  Nothing happens.  Hey,  does this
work in Linux?
Steve:  You're running windows?
Me: Yes, of course
Steve:  <Click>
Room of Co-workers start laughing

--
:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar