[ale] Best, Secure, Fast Remote Desktop?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:45:42 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 09:43 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > I'm looking into x2go now. It's not up and running yet but it seems to
> > be a complete fork of nx so I expect the same feature set.
>
> I'm not sure I would call it a "complete fork of nx" but rather a
> separate package based on the NX libraries.  It's not compatible with
> any of the NX clients (NoMachine, FreeNX, or Remmina) and you have to
> use their client with their server.

True. And the gui on CentOS6 is rather a bit flaky. I saw that remmina will
work but requires an additional package like a proxy.

> Mike
>
> > On Jun 3, 2014 9:33 AM, "JD" <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> >         Every year or so, I look for a better way to handle remote
> >         desktops for the 2%
> >         of the time I need one.  ssh works the other 98% of the time.
> >
> >         For the last 3+ yrs, FreeNX + remote NoMachine v3.5.x client
> >         (Linux/Windows) has
> >         been working extremely well. I'm using it now. I understand
> >         that FreeNX isn't
> >         working on Ubuntu 14.04 (yet?),
> >
> >         Requirements:
> >         * Linux-based remote desktops (don't want Windows)
> >         * secure (key based); MANDATORY
> >         * stable; MANDATORY
> >         * fast performance for "productivity apps"; MANDATORY
> >         * Clients must support Windows and Linux, Android is
> >         nice-to-have
> >         * install from well-known repos, PPAs - NOT SOURCE
> >         * F/LOSS
> >         * don't need video streaming and
> >         * audio is nice-to-have
> >
> >         Has anyone switched over to x2go since FreeNX seems abandoned?
> >
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/466309/freenx-server-installation-on-ubuntu-14-04-trusty
> >
> >         If so, how is the performance, usability, stability of x2go?
> >         Is the performance similar to NX or better?
> >
> >         Has anyone setup a Guacamole server? This is a HTML5,
> >         web-based remote desktop.
> >         I'm less thrilled about allowing the entire world access to
> >         the front-door of a
> >         network. Would only deploy this with a VPN mandatory. Still -
> >         any users out there?
> >
> >         Respect to RDP and VNC users, but compared to NX performance -
> >         those are dogs
> >         and both require a separate tunnel/vpn for security. I
> >         actually remote into NX,
> >         then connect to Windows machines with RDP on the same LAN.
> >         Works good enough.

> > --
> > believed to be clean.

> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>    NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*