[ale] printer oddity

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:10:50 EDT 2014

I have an HP 2605 networked printer.  It has been about as reliable as a
stone ax for years.  All I have ever done is use high quality paper and
replace the toner cartridges as needed.

All of a sudden it stopped printing and is showing this message:
"error 79. turn printer off and on.'

Which doesn't clear the error.

Googled my way to a discussion on just this error and found that all sorts
of folks apparently have suddenly had this problem -- most of whom have
recently installed a firmware upgrade.  I have not done that.

One person with the same problem solved it by removing the extra 128mgb
memory stick.  Tried that.  Didn't help.  Machine will boot to the "Ready"
mode but will gag when trying to print.

I really don't want to toss a printer with nearly $300 worth of fresh
toner.  Clues would be appreciated.

Sean