[ale] setterm -powersave off -blank 0

William Coles wcoles1971 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:19:39 EDT 2014

It's a n00b question, I know, but...this has been driving me crazy and
I'm trying to resolve it. I am running CentOS 6.5 on an HP Pavilion
laptop (dv4-5110us). After about 5 minutes of no activity the display
goes blank from (I'm assuming) powersave mode. Things I have tried to
resolve it include:

1) Setting "Put display to sleep when inactive for:" to "Never"

2) Dropping to runlevel 3 and as root typing

$ setterm -powersave off -blank 0

2) Adding the following to /etc/rc.local

/usr/bin/setterm -powersave off -blank 0

3) In /etc/X11/xorg.config adding

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option    "blank time" "0"
     Option    "standby time" "0"
     Option    "suspend time" "0"
     Option    "off time" "0"
EndSection

None of the above has resolved the issue. The display continues to go to
sleep after about 5 minutes.

Anything else to try? What am I missing?

William