[ale] Slackware anyone

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 13:05:44 EDT 2014

On 7/26/2014 11:41 AM, Collin Pruitt wrote:
> On 7/26/2014 11:37 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
>> Slackware 8.0 and 8.1 were my distro of choice back then when I had to
>> build server. I've actually managed to fit base install + apache + php +
>> mysql + pppoe server in 170 MB harddrve. We used in mainly for pppoe server
>> but we did test some php scripting, slow but was working.
>>
>> The reason I'm asking is just curiosity. Nobody post questions for
>> Slackware perhaps nobody using Slackware.
>>
>> Even I can remember reading anything on the web news ...
> I have an old Slack machine that I used as a small web server for a few
> years still lying around here. I also have a Slackware VM on this
> computer for the occasional testing. I know a few people that use
> Slackware as their primary deployed server operating system. I've just
> never taken a real liking to it.

I think you don't hear about it very much because by default he package
management took for Slackware doesn't do any dependency checking,
therefore managing a full features Slackware system can be a bit
daunting for the newbie. This isn't to say that the lack of dependency
checking is necessary a bad thing but it is most definitely THE THING
that can drive away people that are used to it.