[ale] Centos

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 15:33:27 EDT 2014

yep. XFS on Irix was painful. IRIX was painful (but the hardware was
really, really cool!)

The download from somewhere other than CentOS disks will likely not have
XFS support. But then I always have a live DVD of the current CentOS anyway
and it has support for everything the main install system does.

I used JFS for about 2 months and decided I liked pretty much anything else
better. It was very fast and both delivering files and losing inode data
about them once they were open. I've not revisited that one.

So you _just_ moved to ext4. from what ext compiled with a.out format
binaries?

:-}

If I had the RAM horsepower to run dedupe portion of ZFS it would be very
useful. But I really don't understand the fascination with doing filesystem
snapshots. My old-geezer factor is gimme a damn tape backup system. I want
important stuff in at least 2 different locations. Filesystem snapshots
tend to get stored on the same hard drives the real filesystem is on so
that's useless from my perspective.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 07/25/2014 02:57 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > XFS has been out of beta for 10 years. It's been an install option since
> > RHEL5.
>
> I've used XFS on Irix and for a short test on Linux in the early 2000s
> with a
> multitude of different FS which shouldn't count. If it is the default for
> your
> flavor, then i'd use it.
>
> I made the mistake of using JFS for about a decade, prior to it being in
> the
> base kernel. I've learned about the hassles of doing that and don't plan
> to make
> that mistake again.  Most of the save-your-butt utility disks aren't going
> support XFS, so if that is important to you, it is a consideration.  OTOH,
> in a
> work environment, that probably isn't normal.
>
> XFS is NOT the default on all linuxen, but it is definitely more proven
> than btrfs.
>
> I should point out that I'm very cautious - having switched to ext4 just 18
> months ago.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*