[ale] Advice requested on samba solutions.

David Millians millia at panix.com
Mon Jul 21 09:19:29 EDT 2014

On 7/20/2014 11:04 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> W2k8 will work with old nt4 network style but it is a rebuild to do it. Not
> recommended!

Okay. I figured it was going to be difficult.

> I'm not sure if you're trying to replace the 2k8 servers with samba or run
> the software on a samba box. Samba 4.1 is purported to be rock solid. Might
> be worth a tarball install. Haven't looked at version shipping with centos7
> but sles should have an upgrade soon.

I am waiting impatiently for SLES 12. I would prefer not to tarball it,
but I'll do it if I have to.

As for the server, it's a VM appliance to run the win pak server, so I'm
not looking to replace it. I just want the individual desktops to be
able to talk to it across the net.
So, I need networking glue between all the points. Whether that's samba
4.x boxes being AD PDC and BDC or whether it's some lashup of WINS
running from Samba 3.6.x, I don't know. Or it might be something I
haven't thought of- those are just the ways that I thought of. As said,
the quick test with 3.6.x and WINS didn't work.

> Don't plan on running the program on a samba box.

Nope. :)
Thanks,
David