[ale] Interesting problem with Intel S1200BTSR MB

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jul 14 14:43:46 EDT 2014

On 07/14/2014 02:36 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> So the system _DOES_ boot OK but you have no console?

I do have console.  What happens is on restart is that on the serial
console this is the last thing I see:

Turning off quotas:  [ OK  ]
init: Re-executing /sbin/init
Please stand by while rebooting the system...
sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
e1000e 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
e1000e 0000:00:19.0: PCI INT A disabled
Restarting system.
machine restart

Machine does not restart.

This only happens when I'm using that port as serial console in the
OS.   It can be random too.

Now that I think about.  The management device is still wired serially
to the system.  It is also expecting the console to be on. The only
difference is that I've not enabled serial console in grub and there is
no getty process running for ttyS0.

That above leads me to believe that active pins is not causing the
problem.  If so the problem would persist after disabling serial console.

I will try to only run the getty on the serial port and see if the
problem persists.  I will then tell the kernel that the serial is
console and see if the problem persists.  Finally I'll tell GRUB to use
the serial as console.  I can narrow this down even more.

Chris