[ale] mgetty via upstart

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jul 14 13:45:12 EDT 2014

I'm new to upstart so I googled how to enable mgetty on a serial port.
This was the example I found:

[salt at localhost init.d]$ cat /etc/init/ttyR0.conf
start on runlevel [345]
stop on runlevel [S016]

respawn
instance /dev/ttyR0
exec /opt/salt/sbin/mgetty ttyR0

That is a port off an 8 port modem board.  I added 7 more files. During
testing of my serial console lock up on restart issue I pulled that PCI
board without removing those files.   On boot all I saw was error
messages and the network never came up.  I had to boot with init as
/bin/sh to delete them.

1.  What should I put as the prerequisite for those?  I want them to
start right before rc.local (after net, ssh, etc).

2.  I noticed no intelligent behaviour like init.   Init will detect a
rapid respawn and disable the tty for N minutes.  This keeps the console
quiet and the syslog from filling.   Does upstart support this logic or
maybe I should write a wrapper that executes mgetty and then it will
detect rapid respawn.

chris