[ale] Fedora/CentOS - upgrade or clean install?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:13:25 EDT 2014

Fedora since 18 has an upgrade process (fedup) that is officially supported
(works very well - follow the instructions!). A grouse in the professional
realm - RHEL - has been a lack of this ability. The process of RHEL5.x to
RHEL6 was to install to a new machine and migrate over the data. (That
actually makes sense given the way RHEL "freezes" on certain libs and many
RHEL systems are production so the original machines will be running until
the network switchover happens).

But RedHat has listened and now has a way to upgrade from RHEL6 to RHEL7.
And CentOS has it as well. They do say it's a work in progress at this time
but upgrading from 7 to 8 is a long time off.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Preston <preston.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am unfamiliar with both Fedora/CentOS (stopped using RH things around
> it's 7 series).  Is this a distro that you can change sources and
> upgrade or do you always do a clean install?
>
> Initial searching has been a bit... ambiguous.
>
> Preston
>
> --
> Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
> and those who matter don't mind.
> -Dr. Seuss

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*