[ale] [ot] Calling for Laptop Reviews

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Tue Jul 1 20:38:34 EDT 2014

I've had TWO terrible experiences with Acer in the past 2 years.

A year ago I bought a mid-range Acer as a gift.  They keyboard's "k" key
failed in 2 weeks.

  1. Because Acer changes models every month or so, I was unable to
     exchange it.

  2. Unlike most manufacturers, Acer refuses to let competent retail
     outlets (like the wonderful MicroCenter I bought it at to fix it).

  3. Acer refused to sell me a keyboard with instructions even if I
     accepted liability for breaking it after stating I'd have
     MicroCenter's shop fix it.

  4. Acer refused to send another one, less a disk, so that I could
     put the now heavily used disk in the new one and return their junk.

  5. Acer (I talked with their U.S. headquarters) refused to do anything
     except send it back and wait a month UNDER WARRANTY!

  6. The giftee, a talented 15 year old, found a replacement keyboard
     and instructions on the Internet for about $20 a year later and
     fixed it himself.

The other experience, about 2 years ago, I told the BIOS not to boot
from the DVD for security reasons -- after installing Linux and adding
a BIOS password, of course.

Unfortunately, stupid BIOS design prevents undoing this to again allow
booting from a DVD, say, to install a new OS!  Acer support confirmed
that I'd have to send it back to them and wait a month if I ever want
to boot from DVD again.

Since these Acer nightmares I've bought two Lenovo Thinkpads and have
been VERY HAPPY!  YMMV.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob