[ale] What did we want?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Jan 29 18:17:26 EST 2014

On 1/28/14, 6:34 PM, Vernard Martin wrote:

> legs. It doesn't matter what we want as obviously no one showed up to
> even state what they wanted :)

Perhaps it's because Linux as a community-based alternative to big
software vendor hegemony is on its last legs.  A Windows alternative
with excellent hardware support and buy-it-and-turn-it-on convenience
appeared in the form of a re-ascendant Apple, and most Linux usage was
vacuumed up by a traditional for-pay model as presented by Red Hat.  If
you have vendor-sourced classes and certification tests instead of
self-assembling forums, IRC channels, and listservs, community is no
longer all that important.