[ale] Letter of Volatility

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Wed Jan 29 17:32:40 EST 2014

On 01/29/2014 04:12 PM, Leam Hall wrote:
> In general any storage device that enters an area for classified
> information cannot be removed intact. Even in non-classified
> environments some government agencies retain the ram, cmos, disk
> controller ram, hard drives, etc. Most of then are physically reduced
> beyond use.
I dealt with DOD and DOE classified sites and vendors with classified data
from activities on those sites.  That was pretty much the  rule.
If you brought in even a CDROM you couldn't take it out.  Cell phones,
cameras, PDAs, pretty much anything with electronics didn't get out.
Watches were OK but I'll bet they aren't now.

Jim.

We had a table that everyone would leave their cell phones on. This was true
even for dumb phones. We had a shredder for CDs. Well, more of a grinder,
really. We would also take hard drives apart and store the platters until
they could be sent to the destruction facility.

--Brian