[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Tue Jan 28 17:26:31 EST 2014

On 01/27/14 14:00, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 12:16 PM, Rev. Johnny Healey wrote:
>> When I have done interviews in the past, I usually would expect the
>> candidate to be able to implement a short algorithm (in their
>> language of choice or pseudocode) and express the runtime in Big-O
>> notation.
> That's the interview I'd walk out on.  Give me a week to perform and
> then judge my work on a REAL problem, but don't try to make a monkey
> out of me.  Thanks, but no thanks.
>
> Jim

I pretty much agree. Well, Rev  did say he'd take pseudocode which would
be a basic test of your understanding of programming. My department once
hired a guy who had a BS in Comp Sci but had never written a line of
code in his life. He couldn't even write HTML. The guy had a Comp Sci
degree and it never even occured to me that he didn't know how to
program at least a little. We never even thought to ask that.

Once I was asked in a job interview to write some RPG. I had RPG on my
resume as one of the languages I knew but it had been a few years and I
couldn't remember a thing. I didn't get that job which may have been a
good thing.

Another time  I was asked in a job interview which languages I knew. I'm
not sure I'd have the bravado to give this answer today but the guy
doing the interview said it was  my answer to this question that got me
the job. I said, "Well, I know all of them. Once you've learned three or
four, you know them all. Give me an afternoon  with a new language and
I'll be able to produce working code. Give me a week and i'll be fluent."

Really, depending on how much time you have to let  an employee develop,
it doesn't matter what they know.  I suppose you can't take someone
fresh out of college and say, "Okay, build us a web site where people
can sign up for health care." But if you're hoping your hire will be
around for five or six years, it probably doesn't matter what they know
at the time of the interview.