[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 27 13:13:08 EST 2014

On 01/27/2014 12:44 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> My take as someone originally not trained in IT (chemistry) is problem
> solving first with a logical outline of the steps to solve the
> problem. If there is something the person does not know do they know
> how to research for a solution and do they know they do not know the
> answer.
>
> One question that may be more important is how did one learn about
> something. I am looking at the type person they are. Are they someone
> who will learn something new "just because" or only because they need
> to for work. I would like to hear often this is asked by an interviewer.

My personal story on problem solving goes like this:  I was working as
technical support for a company while in college.  My manager took all
of my hard problems.  Anytime I ran into something that caused me to
struggle I would pass the buck. One day he announced he was leaving and
they told him to leave immediately.  I was the only one and they
expected me to fill in his shoes.   Luckily I arised to the occasion and
excelled.  That one event taught me almost everything about being
dependent on my abilities over someone else.  When there is no one else
to turn to then you are it.  You do not know everything, but in today's
time, 2014, you can pair good problem skills with google-fu to solve issues.

In that example I was the guy who was not interested in personal
growth.  Any challenge I would push up to the next level. I plan never
to be that guy again and I do not want to hire that guy either....