[ale] just thinking

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:39:48 EST 2014

The longer I use gnome, the more it just becomes a container for terminal
sessions.

For me, for the most part, gnome "works".  The "lets copy Apple iPad" crap
is beyond old and silly. It's a bad work flow (which gnome admitted they
did _NO_ study of at all) as now things i could do with 1-3 clicks are 4-5
with scrolling and things I could do with 4-5 are not feasible.

Didn't use KDE from the beginning due to QT licensing. It looked to much
like winders for too long so I haven't looked at it years.

XFCE is nice and light and pretty much stays out of my way. Haven't
tinkered with Enlightenment is a long time. Always seemed like lots of eye
candy distractions (but some of the themes were easy to read).

I think my pupils are changing from round to rectangular.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM, James Taylor <
James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:

> I've never liked Gnome, starting with version 0.x.
> I've been using KDE since I started using linux for my exclusive desktop
> about 12 years ago.
> I hated the 4.0 release, but I was able to continue using 3.x until they
> got it sorted out.
> I still like the configurability of KDE. I still have basically the same
> setup that I did when I started.
> Since I use the desktop for almost all of my daily work activities, change
> is bad, unless it improves the process. Change is especially bad if it
> doesn't work for me and doesn't give me an alternative to revert to the old
> way.
> I check out some of the other GUI environments occasionally, but I haven't
> seen the benefit the change would give me that would be worth the process
> of figuring out how to do all the things I do now without thinking about it.
> Functionality beats pretty any day of the week.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 14:12 +0000, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> > I gave up on KDE years ago, and on Gnome at 3.x. Before that, I was
> > almost exclusively a Gnome user. These days, I've found that the
> > simplicity of XFCE is best for me. It just gets out of my way, and
> > lets me do what I need to do - switch between a bazillion terminal
> > sessions, Firefox, and OpenOffice, while playing music in the
> > background.
>
> I've never been fond of KDE.  Reminded me too much of the old SCO ODT
> desktop but it may have grown up some from when I tried it last.
>
> I've pretty much given up on Gnome 3.x.  Looks ugly, they keep making it
> harder and harder to find the apps you want, and it's a performance
> death trap.
>
> I pretty much use XFCE with the Enlightenment 16 (yeah, I'm a die hard)
> window manager.
>
> > --
> > Allen Beddingfield
> > Systems Engineer
> > The University of Alabama
>
> Regards,
> Mike
> --
> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>    NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!
>

> If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report
> it:
> http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=43820&srvid=16vl15t

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*