[ale] Question about bind server behavior.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Jan 25 13:59:55 EST 2014

On 01/25/2014 12:40 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 12:07 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
>> One of my host providers changed the IP address of my server.  I went to
>> the bind server that provides the master records and changed the IP
>> address in the tables.  I restarted bind and then did a dig
>> @<masterdnsserver> <serverwithnewaddress> and it reports the old IP
>> address.  Is something caching that information?
> 1) Did you update the serial number in the SOA?
Hi, Mike,

Yes

> 2) Are you sure you got the right zone file?  If bind is running chroot,
> you may find a copy in /var/named/data and a copy
> in /var/named/chroot/var/named/data.  Modern setups connect the two
> together through a bind mount but it use to not always be that way and
> an updated system won't perform the bind mount if it finds the chroot
> directory already populated.
It's not chrooted.  The /etc/named.conf file contains:

zone "lynch-family.info" {
         type master;
         file "/var/named/lynch-family.info.hosts";
         };
The /var/named/lynch-family.info.hosts file has a line:

lynch-family.info.      IN      A       107.161.113.167

Which is the new IP address.

I'm pretty sure that's what bind is using.

Jim.

>> I thought that if I provided a server to dig it asked the system
>> directly.  I guess I need to go back to school.
> You got the correct dig command (although I would have specified -t any
> and verified an updated SOA as well).
How interesting.  Adding the -t any found the correct address.  -t A
gives me the old one.    I guess I'll wait a few days and see if the
right stuff gets propogated.

Thanks,
Jim.