[ale] Question about bind server behavior.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jan 25 12:43:32 EST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 12:13 -0500, JD wrote:
> There is always the TTL for the DNS record involved.  I go with 7 days most of
> the time to allow caching, but if I know changes are coming, I'll drop it to 30
> min the day before, then 5 min on the day of the changes.

Yes, but he queried the master authoritative name server directly, so
that doesn't apply in his case.  The TTL applies to caching resolvers
and recursive name servers.  Even the authoritative slaves will get
updated rapidly, as soon as they get the notify from the master as it
reloads the updated zone and they'll issue an AXFER to repull the zone.