[ale] Question on network

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 08:03:09 EST 2014

Fireway = Firewall, didn't catch it in editing.

These are all in the data center. We keep growing.

Thank

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:53 AM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> I would just split the desktops from the servers - different subnets and be
> done.  You pick which side is easier to move.  Servers and end-user devices
> shouldn't be on the same network and need have ahve a firewall between them
> anyway, IMHO.
>
> Or go with a 192.168.11.0/23 or /22 network.
>
> What is a "fireway?"
>

> On 01/22/2014 10:55 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I need to as a question, I am weak on networking. Every where I have
>> worked we had a network guy, so I didn't have to deal with this much
>>
>> Currently were I work I am about to run out of ip's, for now every is
>> 192.168.11.0/24 lets say
>>
>> We are using a Class C ( 10.11.0.0/24 254 Hosts Usable ), our head
>> program was us to move to a class B ( 192.168.0.0/16 65534 Host Usable
>> )
>>
>> My question is this, I currently have a firewall that is my gateway,
>> it is 192.168.11.254/255.255.255.0
>>
>> If I change all the ip's even the gateway netmask from 255.255.255.0
>> to 255.255.0.0 with it work with my gateway? Then can I use any ip on
>> the 192.168.0.0 range with my gateway.
>>
>> So for example I set up the the following to use
>>
>> 192.168.10.0/255.255.0.0
>> 192.168.11.0/255.255.0.0
>> 192.168.12.0/255.255.0.0
>>
>> I am currently reading a few books, but they aren't answering my question.
>>
>> I like to be able for ip to work together with the one fireway. By the
>> way, I know that 192.168.0.0/24 is a private range for a class c, and
>> what I am talking would be better with 10.0.0.0/16, but I am use to
>> working with 192.168.0.0.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org