[ale] thoughts on reducing Sync time for 2.6.32 System?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Jan 21 21:18:34 EST 2014

Searching on this more, I find
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/linux-pdflush.htm

How is this for a working hypothesis:

Old Dell servers were 8GB, and I think our DB buffering might have used
2GB of that.

New Dell servers are 24GB, and Progress OpenEdge is 64 bit, and uses a
good bit more buffer space.

/proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio is the same 10%, but that's 3X the
amount of dirty accumulated.

According to /proc/meminfo, I've seen Dirty: over 3013kB.

It would seem that dropping /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio to 6%
might be worth a stab to see if it evens out the peak sync times.   It's
not that the system is slow, it's just when we bust through a 3 second
SLA the client goes bat-crazy.