[ale] IP camera to V4L virtual device

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Jan 21 02:39:37 EST 2014

I searched for this once upon a time but now I can't find anything (may
just be tired and can't conjure up the proper search incantations).  I'm
looking for a daemon that can pull in an MJPEG stream from an IP camera
(or other net source) and create a virtual /dev/videoX device for it
that can then be used by other software.  I wanted to be able to do some
video conferencing and just switch from one camera to another by
changing the camera feed source in the conference software.  The cameras
themselves would be regular IP cameras scattered about.