[ale] Grrr, IP changed

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Fri Jan 17 16:20:54 EST 2014

On 1/17/2014 4:01 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> note to self... write down those instructions for next time:)
> and think about getting a static IP...

Based on the updated info, looks like he *has* an IPv6 address for the
DNS server.  Unless he's got native IPv6 from his provider, and the IPv6
is *also* dynamic (are the ISPs doing that?  And *why* would they do
that?), the IPv6 address may be enough.

I'd still suggest getting free secondary service from puck.nether.net
and rollernet.us.  Robert appears to have only one DNS server, so if
this happens again, the domain will again be down until he once again
updates the glue record.  Having the secondaries in place would keep the
domain from going away when the cable connection goes down (at least
until the SOA expiry time passes.  I came close, having had an almost
2-week outage from a near lightning strike in the past month).

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps
http://oloryn.benshome.net/     | looking right.  For the fool, looking