[ale] telnets (secure telnet) anyone?

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Tue Jan 14 23:14:05 EST 2014

Not sure if this helps, but Debian Wheezy has telnet-ssl and telnetd-ssl packages:

---

Package: telnet-ssl
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 0.17.24+0.1-23
 The telnet command is used for interactive communication with another host
 using the TELNET protocol.

 SSL telnet replaces normal telnet using SSL authentication and encryption. It
 interoperates with normal telnetd in both directions. It checks if the other
 side is also talking SSL, if not it falls back to normal telnet protocol.

 Advantages over normal telnet: Your passwords and the data you send will not go
 in cleartext over the line. Nobody can get it with tcpdump or similar tools.
 With SSLtelnet you can also connect to https-server like
 https://www.mozilla.org. Just do 'telnet -z ssl www.mozilla.org 443'

Package: telnetd-ssl
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 0.17.24+0.1-23
 The in.telnetd program is a server which supports the DARPA telnet interactive
 communication protocol.

 SSL telnetd replaces normal telnetd using SSL authentication and encryption. It
 interoperates with normal telnetd in both directions. It checks if the other
 side is also talking SSL, if not it falls back to normal telnet protocol.

 Advantages over normal telnetd: Your passwords and the data you send will not
 go in cleartext over the line. Nobody can get it with tcpdump or similar tools.

---

later!
   horkan