[ale] New Linksys router on its way

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Jan 7 14:37:34 EST 2014

On 1/7/2014 11:16, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 02:07 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>> On 01/07/2014 10:59 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not just esata, it's a much more stout gizmo being built with
>>> ddwrt and others in mind. Esata will allow a multiple drive box to be
>>> added.  Most peeps will be fine with the Asus gear . Micro center
>>> price on Asus is $100.
>>>

>> I ran a D-Link for 5 years.  So $300/5 = $60/yr and is not bad if it
>> does what it says it does.   If they keep providing updates to address
>> bugs and interoperability issues then it is an even better investment.
>>
>> I'm looking for working QoS, DLNA, NAS, etc.   I just bought a TP-LINK
>> W8980($100) and would consider replacing in the fall when this Linksys
>> is released!
>
> I have an AT&T Uverse modem. They also left me a Netgear Gigabit 8-port
> switch, gs108. Not sure there is anything I can do with that Uverse
> modem.. but it sure is nice having 18Gb speed:)

The Uverse modem can do a reasonable amount of stuff but it's not worth
the effort (I have one, too).  I turned off all services on mine except
for the four wired ports (wireless on mine has a locked config, I can
only enable and disable, HNAP for some reason was enabled on the
external side when I first got it so that got disabled, the coax output
is disabled, and the USB port is disabled), and set the modem to route
everything through (static IPs).  The rest of my network runs through a
WRT54G and a WRT54GL both running OpenWRT which are handling the firewalls.