[ale] File recovery

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jan 6 11:59:44 EST 2014

Guess this is why I make a terrible admin.
I would have said - "it is gone" at the very beginning and been done with it.

I was an admin 15 yrs ago at a little company.  Each team was responsible for
doing their own backups. We were a C/C++ cross-platform development shop, so
most teams just used the fact that their members would check out the code from
the VCS onto 3-15 desktops and be done. My team survived a few failures/file
corruption issues.  I'd burn a CD with the source code once a month and take it
home. We were fine.

Another team was a single person working on a dedicated AIX machine. The HDD
crashed. All his work was toast since the last drop to the client about a month
earlier. I pulled out a signed paper where he accepted the responsibility to
back up his work and we were done.  Nobody was admin on that machine. It hadn't
been patched ... ever and didn't even have a mksysb run.  The developer had
"assumed" someone was handling it. He was 10 yrs my senior. I don't even know
how that box was put on the network or who did it.

Again, I felt bad, but didn't feel ANY responsibility.