[ale] debian installer

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Jan 5 16:04:10 EST 2014

On 1/5/2014 09:06, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Is anybody familiar in deep with Debian installer. In short I'm trying to
> test something on 2.4 kernel etc. installing Debian 3.1 sarge.  I have
> small network install Iso . When I point server URL at
> archive.Debian.orginstaller looks for old stable/stable/testing
> directories but on archive
> server are only names of the the versions. So I'm looking to change
> installer to look for sarge dir. I know I can just download bigger Iso
> install base distro and change source for apt. So this is more of a hacking
> question and challenge, how to change old stable/stable/testing to sarge
> and others names. Thank you and wish you all the best through 2014.

You put the name of the version where you would normally have stable,
testing, unstable, etc.  (Debian calls this "pinning" since it gets used
frequently to lock a version and prevent unexpected distribution upgrades).

You should be able to edit the sources during install.  If you have
direct access to the sources.list file then you'd modify them this way:

#stable format:
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
#pinned format:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free