[ale] ASUS RT series routers

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 14:50:53 EST 2014

Jeff,

I know how DNS works. Call me paranoid, but I said "so far as I
can tell, the link is genuine" because you really cannot know
for certain if a website is what it claims to be unless they
are using signed certificates, and this is the case with ASUS.
I do not trust that a DNS server admin for a particular area
wouldn't redirect asus.com, or any other domain, to a site they
set up to bait victims, and when the web server does not have a
CA-signed certificate it is impossible to know if this is the
case without prior knowledge of the servers. This is why I
recommended that he check the e-mail headers .

Scott,

Glad you were able to determine that the message you received wasn't a
fake; I would have been a bit skeptical of it, myself. Perhaps you
should see if ASUS would consider using HTTP with TLS - I am a bit
surprised that they aren't already. It seems amateurish and their
customers have no way to verify that they are downloading firmware
updates from a server actually owned by ASUS. Just my two cents.