[ale] NISPlus-like Server for Debian/Ubuntu?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Feb 22 10:08:32 EST 2014

Guess I really need a recommendation for something to replace NIS+.  Would
FreeIPA be that next-gen tool? http://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page

Ubuntu 12.04 is my main platform today, but a 10.04 box exists still and 14.04
will be coming in May/June.  Doesn't look like FreeIPA has a debian maintainer -
lots of nasty dependencies - mostly Java stuff, it appears.  Java is a
non-starter on my network. Personal bias against it.

Other alternatives for this need?

Heck, even if I have to merge /etc/group and passwd/shadow files manually, then
use Ansible to push them to every box here, that is better than running java, IMHO.