[ale] non-technical Linux question

Sergio Chaves sergio.chaves at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 11:20:17 EST 2014

I signed up for a CNET class at Clayton State University back in 1999.
During open house I met the professor (I cannot recall his name), coolest
guy ever. He took me to his office and showed me a preview of what we were
going to study - Redhat Linux 6. It was love at first sight. Setting up "X'
was great on my Dell Lattitude C800 with 250Meg RAM and 1.5 gig HD - today
happily running Puppy Linux retro Long Term Precise and giving me a lot of
laughs when it opens web pages faster then my kids and friend's plagued
M$W7 modern laptops :-)
Although installed, the use of GUI tools was very limited; CLI tools only
for most of the classes. There was no way out now, I was hooked to this
"Linux thing".
Signed up next semester and met professor Byron Jeff (use to contribute
here a lot in the past). First day of class and he takes a motherboard full
of cables inside a shoebox and connects it to the class projector. After
everybody picked up their jaws from the floor :-) , we had at it. It was
awesome.
Shortly after, Winter 2003, I got a job on a Linux/Open Source only
company. All ACER servers running SCO Linux with PROGRESS Database 6
installed. Servers were maxed out at 1GIG RAM and 6 x 9GIG HDs. Installed
Applixware Office Suite and Star Office Suite (better but heavier).
Installed VMWare 1.0 and was amazed with the "magic" of virtualization.
Messed around with Corel Linux (I liked it a lot, still do not understand
why it did not take off).
Oh, and then Ximian came along and I was able to sync my Sony Clie and Palm
IIIe after many hours of messing around with the plugins.
<SadAlmostCryingWithTearsInHisFaceNow>
Those were really good times... I learned a lot then.
</SadAlmostCryingWithTearsInHisFaceNow>

Sergio