[ale] backup/restore mail from USB external drive

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Feb 13 14:43:57 EST 2014

If possible I try to segregate "OS" from "applications" so usually would have 2 virtual drives on PERC unless I wasn't planning on having applications on internal drives (i.e. only using external drives).

It helps to prevent disk hungry applications from being allowed to use all of the space your OS might someday require by putting the virtual drives in two different VGs.  (Of course the first one is usually partitioned so that /boot is on a partition rather than in LVM so the second partition in the first virtual is allocated to the VG that has /root, /usr, /var, /tmp, /opt).

There are those who will tell you PERC (hardware RAID OEM from LSI) is actually not as fast a software raid (md).   I've not experimented with it myself - typically if we have apps that need high performance they're being presented from our disk array via fibre HBAs.  If you are seeing significant failures on your PERC stuff and they don't support RAID 6 or RAID 10 you might want to present your disks as JBOD then use software raid to get the desired RAID level.