[ale] backup/restore mail from USB external drive

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Feb 12 19:02:21 EST 2014

On 02/12/2014 06:43 PM, Ray Vastly wrote:
> Why should you avoid raid 5 or 6 when using large hard disks? What Raid
> configuration would you recommend for 12 HDDs each 2 TB in a NAS?

My personal opinion?

Backups, then
RAID10, then
RAIDz2, then
RAID1, then
RAIDz

A few years ago, it was believed that large drives had an issue with MTBF such
that it was likely that after replacing a failed HDD another drive would fail
during the RAID-rebuild. I haven't seen anything recent to prove or disprove it.
I do know that drive warranties have changed from 5 yrs, to 3 yrs to 1 yr over
the same period. Many USB drives people buy to backup stuff at home have 90 day
warranties. Buyer beware.

When I upgraded from 4x320G RAID5 to 4x2TB disks, I switched to RAID1. I still
do weekly RAID scrubs and nightly backups.  I'd never experienced the
RAID5-hole, but didn't want to either.

BTW, 1 of those 2TB disks failed last week after 16 months in-service.