[ale] non-technical Linux question

Jonathan Meek jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 10:30:05 EST 2014

Was introduced to Linux after Professor Susan Vande Ven at Southern
Polytechnic State said something to the effect "Linux just works" after a
startup error with Windows in my introduction to Programming course.
Proceeded to get online and find OpenSuse 10.3. Installed it on my computer
and wiped out my windows install by accident. Decided to power through it
and use Linux full time. Ended up having a broadcom wireless chip so spent
a fair amount of time getting it to work, only to find Southern Poly didn't
have a way for Linux laptops to connect to the network. Reviewed the Mac
instructions and figured out to do the similar thing on Linux, basically
just setting up some certifications. Spent the semester showing off to
Professor Vande Ven who consistently pointed me to forums instead of just
solving the issue for me. Switched to Ubuntu somewhere about 6.10 or 7.04.
Worked at SPSU's school newspaper as the IT manager trying to repair our
outdated web server. Managed to get the server back after hard drive
failures(paid out of my pocket) then resigned after being told newspaper
had decided to go with a school hosted service and I failed to "do my job"
of updating the server with the latest issues and would not be compensated
for the drives nor my time.

Continued to use Ubuntu until 2012 then switched to Opensuse 12.3 for a
bit. As of last month, switched to Linux Mint.