[ale] non-technical Linux question

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Feb 11 18:07:59 EST 2014

On 2/11/14, 6:01 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> I have no idea what my FORTRAN punch cards ran on at GaTech in 1980.
> As a cheme major, I had no terminal access.

That would have been a Control Data Cyber.

My first Linux install would have been in 1995 or 1996 - Red Hat from
floppies, on a Gateway 2000 486 with a SCSI controller on an EISA card,
I seem to recall.  I remember lying on the floor in my office after I
got a login prompt.

I didn't get more serious about Linux until 1998; I had a Web server and
a videoconferencing reflector working.  Later that year I changed jobs
and moved to Atlanta, where a certain Mr. Kinney helped me get an IBM
laptop running Linux at an Emory installfest.