[ale] non-technical Linux question

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 11 18:05:47 EST 2014

I had a roommate in college that told me I could run UNIX with less than
40mb disk.  I was running Winders and DOS at the time.  I then had a
friend who got me more interested.  He had more control over his
hardware than I did.  We went to MircoCenter, some computer type shows,
etc.

Somehow I got a copy of Yggdrasil and loaded it.  Since I had an
Internet provider I used SLIP and I believe Mosaic.   Linux then was not
plug and play so I was forced to dive head into it.  That immersion
level gave me the knowledge to then go and do SCO and AIX support even
though I had no experience with those systems.  I went into the company
to maintain their Linux web server and provide auxiliary support for the
other systems.

I moved to Slackware, RedHat, Fedora, and now I run Ubuntu on my desktop
and laptops.  I run CentOS on my servers.

I started the UNIX journey ins 1994.   Best path I ever took.

Chris