[ale] non-technical Linux question

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:54:34 EST 2014

On 2/11/2014 5:08 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> I've read the JD bio from the announcement for the Thursday meeting
> and He says that got introduced to world of Linux in 1993 ...
>
> What is your first encounter with Linux/Unix world?
first UNIX encounter was pre-Linux. Georgia Tech used AT&T 3B2s running
Sys V for their CS 140 course which was  Introduction to Programming
using the PASCAL programming language. We used something called the
"Freshman Shell" which gave us severely limited access to a /bin/ksh.
After reading up on this, I started getting more interested in UNIX. My
next UNIX was the VAX 11/780s running a variation of BSD. Then it was
Vaxstation 2000s running Ultrixx I think.

  When I bought my first computer, I didn't bother with anything other
than DOS since I was looking for x86 versions of UNIX for it already. By
the time the first "distribution" of Linux can out as a serious of
floppy disc images that you downloaded, I jumped at the chance to use a
UNIX as my default OS.

these days I use pretty much all OSes that I can get my hands on as I
believe that you should have many tools in your tool belt and pick the
best tool for the job at the time. But if left to my own devices, I
would have a Linux desktop and be quite happy.