[ale] [OT] my hard drive raid array is making funny noises....

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 7 14:26:45 EST 2014

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:

> OK. I get the lead drive (top center facing the camera) sound is made by
> driving the head to seek to make tones. The other drives are a zillion years
> old and aren't moving fast enough (to my eye) to make the low tones I'm
> hearing. Start up noises, maybe?
>
> heh, heh. talk about "techno" tunes :-)

They are floppy drives, so they are spinning slower than an HDD.  It's
probably a combination of specific sector reads to get the heads to move
appropriately for the various frequencies.

Man this is a cool hack!

-derek