[ale] What do I need to bridge two networks?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Feb 4 09:59:53 EST 2014

On 02/03/2014 05:33 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> This brings up the question of why do you need to provide a wireless
> access point to your clients, only to bridge it to the other wireless
> network?  All the airwaves are the same, so why not go directly to the
> main WiFi AP?  If there's something preventing you from doing this,
> there's likely a reason and you should be working with those in
> control to get the access you need directly on the existing wireless.
OK, the space we are in is donated.  Their generosity is limited. Two
reasons I don't want to go to the "public" rf space is security and I
need to know what IP address the devices have received and the easiest
way is to look at the router DHCP tables. I can't do that on the public
router.  I suppose I could use nmap.  Also some of the devices are too
far from the router. The guy controlling the network works for a company
that is renting space in the same building.  The guy that is donating
the space owns the building.  From what I can gather the network admin
isn't happy about letting us on "his" network and the building owner
doesn't want to upset a paying customer.      We don't have a lot of
negotiating leverage here. The operation is on a shoestring as is so
there is no money to get our own line put in.

Jim.