[ale] What do I need to bridge two networks?

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Mon Feb 3 10:41:18 EST 2014

If I'm following you correctly, I think you need a wireless extender or repeater.

I have an older ASUS RT-N13U that offers a mode where:

your-internet-connection --via-ethernet--> other-wifi-ap-or-router --via-wifi--> asus-in-repeater-mode --via-ethernet--> yourpc

or

your-internet-connection --via-ethernet--> other-wifi-ap-or-router --via-wifi--> asus-in-repeater-mode --via-wifi-but-farther-away-or-better-signal--> yourpc

On my router you'll need the current firmware, and it has to be on the same wifi channel, essid, etc.  The Asus doesn't do any routing, dhcp, etc - all of that comes from the original wifi source.

This has worked fairly well for the most part, but I have run across a few devices that didn't work well w/ the repeated signal - I used to use a Moto Droid 3, and it didn't like it at all.

later!
   horkan