[ale] Router recommendation(s)

matt.hessel at gmail.com matt.hessel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:07:31 EST 2014

This guy - not sure if he works for Asus or not, but he has access to their source code, and modifies it with additional options for VPN, other acceleration features, etc.

On top of the stuff you usually find in DD-wrt and such, he also fixes noticeable bugs in the code before Asus does.  The recent issues with bash vulnerabilities, and ssl - most of them were already fixed in his version, where the asus one was not..

the other nice thing about his firmware - aside it being open source (you can get it from github, and compile yourself if you like) is that his still uses the acceleration features on the Broadcom chips, where normally the dd-wrt is using pure software for tcp/ip, Wifi, encryption, etc..  so his runs very well, and there is no loss of speed or latency in it.