[ale] Promise VTrak M610i max drive size

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sat Dec 27 00:52:59 EST 2014

On 12/23/2014 09:52 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> This ground has been trodden over here before but it bears repeating.
> With drive sizes at 1TB and larger, the probability of having an
> unrecoverable read error on RAID5 rebuild becomes significant enough to
> worry about. RAID6 isn't significantly better. Sure, you may get away
> with it a few times, in much the same way you might get away with having
> evil clown rampage through your data center swinging sledgehammers
> around a few times. So if you're going forward with RAID5 or 6 on an
> array like this for cost-effectiveness' sake, you'd better be prepared
> to restore from tape.

It should be pointed out that raid6 is not just a minor improvement over
raid5--it is many orders of magnitude more robust than raid5 during one
of the most critical parts of its life: rebuilding onto a spare.

I ran through the stats early in the year and dug up the archive:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=139050322510249&w=2

The whole thread is handy for newcomers, actually.

Phil